Saturday 20 October 2012

Update 1

Family and friends,

Do you ever have it when on our sojourn through this life that path God guides us along takes a turn in a direction you weren't expecting? That our heavenly Father, in His infinite wisdom, places us in certain place or situation in life? But then even in that often hard and difficult place or situation He gives us what is needed. God has said this life would not always be easy nor free from pain and suffering but He has given us His Holy Spirit, who through His word guides and comforts us. 

In this past week my wife (Felicia) and myself experienced a turn in the path God has placed us in that we were not expecting. For the past couple of months I have not been feeling well. In the last month I have undergone tests and blood work with no resolution of what the problem was. This past Wednesday I had an ultrasound done and we waited somewhat anxiously for the results. Friday morning we had a call to come down to the clinic and where we were told that the doctor had found a tumor but was not sure if was malignant or benign. I was scheduled for a CT scan and more blood work that afternoon and when by 5:00 Friday evening we hadn't heard anything I called the clinic and was informed that I had to get myself to a clinic ASAP because my kidneys were failing and I was in need of some pretty serious medical care. Once we got to the hospital we learned the results of the CT scan. We learned I have cancer, that it has spread to the my back and my lymph nodes in my abdomen. The lymph nodes are extremely swollen which in turn has put tremendous pressure on my kidneys and they are at the point of failure. Because of my kidneys not being able to function my body has started to absorb a lot of fluid, including in my legs, feet, abdomen and my right lung. The main concern right now is getting the stress off the kidneys so the plan is to have surgery and put 2 shunts in through my back and drain the kidneys and my right lung. As of now we are waiting for a phone call from Health Science Center in the city that they have a bed for me. 

We realize that well things don't look very good at the moment, we both are comforted by our heavenly Father and his word. We covet your prayers first for strength and peace in this time but also for healing and we acknowledge that it is through prayer that God hears us and gives us what we need.

I'm not much of a writer so I'm not sure how often I'll do this but we will keep you all updated one way or another. 

Psalm 27 
Of David. 
[1] The Lord is my light and my salvation— whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life— of whom shall I be afraid? [2] When evil men advance against me to devour my flesh, when my enemies and my foes attack me, they will stumble and fall. [3] Though an army besiege me, my heart will not fear; though war break out against me, even then will I be confident. [4] One thing I ask of the Lord, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord and to seek him in his temple. [5] For in the day of trouble he will keep me safe in his dwelling; he will hide me in the shelter of his tabernacle and set me high upon a rock. [6] Then my head will be exalted above the enemies who surround me; at his tabernacle will I sacrifice with shouts of joy; I will sing and make music to the Lord. [7] Hear my voice when I call, O Lord; be merciful to me and answer me. [8] My heart says of you, “Seek his face!” Your face, Lord, I will seek. [9] Do not hide your face from me, do not turn your servant away in anger; you have been my helper. Do not reject me or forsake me, O God my Savior. [10] Though my father and mother forsake me, the Lord will receive me. [11] Teach me your way, O Lord; lead me in a straight path because of my oppressors. [12] Do not turn me over to the desire of my foes, for false witnesses rise up against me, breathing out violence. [13] I am still confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. [14] Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord.

25 comments:

  1. I don't know you Rob, but I'm a friend of Dan Pol, and as a man who may face kidney failure later in life, I can say my prayers are with you and your family.
    May God give you the strength to face this trial and make Psalm 27 your shield.
    God bless you all.
    Tim Denbok

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know you either - but I would say your writing is solid and uplifting. Strength and comfort as you and your family go through this trial. Psalm 27 is also one of my favourites...but in tough times we learn the true meaning of the words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Rob and Felicia

    After several months of knowing something was wrong, it is sure to be a relief to have a diagnosis; but it will also be a shock to know that you will now be dealing with cancer.
    May, after all those years of 'having' to learn your Catechism, the words of LD 1&9 ring in your minds and comfort your hearts.
    You belong Rob, not just with your soul but also with your body to your faithful Saviour Jesus Christ. He fully paid for all your sins and set you free from the devil's power. He also preserves you in such a way that not a hair can fall from your head without your heavenly Father's will (not just his knowledge that one fell out-but his say so), indeed that all things must work together for your salvation. May his Holy Spirit assure you of your eternal life and help you live for him, willingly and readily.(LD1)
    May you trust in him so completely as to have no doubt that he will provide you will all things necessary for your body and soul, and that he will also turn to your good whatever adversity he sends you in this life of sorrow. Rob, he is able to do this as almighty God and moreover he is willing to do this as your faithful Father. (LD9)

    Felicia may the peace which passes all understand fill your heart and mind in the coming days as your dear husband receives treatment.

    And Rob, for someone who is not much of a writer you did amazing!



    Dear Bergsma and DeBoer Families,

    While you are no strangers to the trials and hardships of this mortal life, this again is a sudden shock to know your dear son and son-in-law has cancer. From the time our children are conceived, when they are born, as they grow (even when they have moved out on their own :)) it is our 'job' to care for them, nurture them, fix their scrapes and hurts, guide them, and love them so much. May the Lord use this earthly example to comfort you- that as Rob's heavenly Father he loves, cares, heals, and comforts Rob even more than you. As his earthly parents you do not know how his next few weeks or months will go, but his heavenly Father has all his days ordained, written in his book before one of them came to be. (Ps 139:16) We're sure that as Rob's earthly parents you never paid much attention to how many hairs fell from his head each day, but not one of them fell without Rob's heavenly Father's will. (LD1) So also in the days ahead Rob will be in his Father's intensive care.

    Henry and Judy

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've never met you, but we will certainly keep you in our thoughts and prayers.
    Doornbos family in Smithers

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Rob and Felicia, I am saddened to hear this news. Rob's family has certainly seen its share of this disease in the past years. I remember with great fondness your sister, Adriana. I pray the Lord continues to be with you, your wife and your families at this time and that, if it is HIS will that healing is granted. In all things know that you are in His hands and nothing happens without the will of our Heavenly Father.
    Henry and Marie Stad, Neerlandia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Rob and Felicia,

    I just read your blog due to being alerted to it via my wife's Facebook. We were shocked to hear of the sudden crisis that has come into your life. It leaves us at a loss for words. Everything merely human sounds hollow in a time like this. So we can only find refuge in God's words. The Lord has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you"(Heb 13:5. Cling to this promise with all your heart. May you experience in a very profound way the nearness of the Lord. We will uphold you in our prayers and not only you but all your loved ones, too. And I agree with the person who said that you write well! With Christian love, Uncle Rob

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Rob and Felicia,
    I will be praying for you here out east.
    May God strengthen you in the months ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rob and Felicia-our hearts go out to you. May our heavenly Father surround you in His care and grant you the strength and peace to rest in Him. You are in our thoughts and prayers.
    Jon and Rianne Kruyswijk

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Rob and Felicia

    "Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord." We pray that you and all your dear ones will receive strength each day to do this.

    Love, Uncle Henry & Aunt Anne

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rob & Felicia: we are saddened to hear of this news and pray for the Lord to grant the 'sure knowledge and firm confidence' that will sustain you on this path He has given you to travel. We will bring you and your family to the Lord in our prayers and ask for His mercy and love to continue to surround you all!

    Dave & Teresa Gortemaker

    ReplyDelete
  11. You and Felicia are in our prayers.
    The Bollen family, The Netherlands (friends of Petra)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rob and Felicia, we will be praying fervently for you.
    Conrad and Suzanne van Dyk

    ReplyDelete
  13. Knowing you only from a distance, but brother and sister non the less, we too are saddened to hear about the burden placed on you, yet heartened that you know that you can place your burden with Christ. We, along with many others, will pray for Spiritual, mental, and physical strength in the days to come.
    Henry and Janet van der Molen
    (It's difficult to commiserate with someone who is ill and you are in "good" health, I'm sure that as many who respond to this blog, there will be a greater number who don't because they don't know what to say.)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Robert and Felicia,

    David and I will be praying for you as well. May our heavenly Father lift you up on eagle's wings. He is good.

    Lydia Winkel (formerly Pol :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Rob,

    While I am sure I have never met you, I feel a strong connection to you and your situation. I obviously don't know what you are going through, but I do know the road you and your wife are on is not an easy one. Through my own experience having cancer, I have to share with you that you are not alone. Your friends and family are praying for you constantly. And above all our Heavenly Father will never leave your side. Do your utmost to remain positive while you deal with this, continue your trust in God, for only He can completely comfort you. Philip. 4:6 "...do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God."

    Please do not hesitate to contact me if you ever need anything, even if you just want to talk.

    On behalf of my wife and children, our thoughts and prayers are with you.
    Your cousin,
    Nathaniel DeBoer

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Rob and Felicia,
    It is always shocking to hear this kind of news. We pray that the Lord will continue to surround you with His love and care in all that He places before you in this life. He gave us His promises and He always keeps them. As to your writing, you are sending out a powerful message, and we encourage you in continuing.
    Uncle Dick and Aunt Nell

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear Rob & Felicia, we are so sad about your news. We will pray for you both and your families.

    Uncle Jake & Aunt Rita

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear Rob & Felicia

    May the Lord be with you and your family in this tough time. We have you in our thoughts and our prayers.

    your cousin Richard & Francine Schouten

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dear Rob & Felicia,
    It is good to hear your testimony of trust in God's grace and faithfulness as you face an uncertain road. Words are always difficult to come by but know that we will pray for you Felicia as well as the rest of your family.
    Phil 4:6 do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. 7 And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
    Uncle Ted & Aunt Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  20. Rob and Felicia,
    Thank you for being so open about the situation thereby allowing us to pray for you, for strength and for healing.
    Hearing of your diagnosis brought back memories for me of being there when Adrianna was struggling with the disease. I remember her strength and courage and I hope the Lord our Father will grant you much of the same that you may face this time of your life lifted by His love and power.

    Deanna and Ard

    ReplyDelete
  21. We will be thinking and praying for you both, your families and the doctors. May God grant you all everything you are in need of during this difficult time.
    James & Teri Vanderlinde

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have never met you either,but last evening via facebook my niece Marian Scheper had your blod connection....I went there to read and was so sad to read about your sickness.Today Rev.Louwerse(Neerlandia) remembered you and your wife in congregational prayer.My brother and sister in the Lord,also I will bring your situation before the Most Holy Throne of God.He alone is our refuge and to Him we may go with all our trials and tibulations...He WILL hear us.His ways are higher than our ways and we do not comprehend but know that whatever happens in this life will bring you closer to the LORD.May the words of Ps.121 be of comfort to you both and your families.
    Frieda Roodzant-Moesker,Neerlandia,Alberta

    ReplyDelete
  23. We have not personally met you either, but we do know your father and mother Felicia. We will keep you and your families in our prayers, Be comforted in knowing "The Lord is good, a refuge in times of trouble. He cares for those who trust in Him" Nahum 1:7
    Thank you for sharing your burden.
    Fred and Jane Breukelman

    ReplyDelete
  24. Rob and Felicia,

    We also will pray together with all our brothers and sisters in the Lord. May the Lord also comfort you and your extended families. "Be still and know that I am God" God is good!! He is in control of all things. May He be close to you all during this time.

    In Christian love,

    Ron and Elsje Raap and family

    ReplyDelete
  25. Rob & Felicia

    We will continue to hold you in prayer before our Heavenly Father. It is our prayer that He will bless the medical help that you receive and that He will sustain and strengthen you, your parents and rest of you families as you contend with the burden that has been placed upon you. Is. 41:10 "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."

    Love, Uncle Earl & Aunt Sylvia

    ReplyDelete